History of the City of Meadowlakes
The development of Meadowlakes began in 1973. The Meadowlakes Municipal Utility District (MUD) was created in 1974 to provide potable water, wastewater disposal and drainage facilities. In 1982, the community consisted of 91 homes and 178 people. By that time most of the streets, all of the utilities and the recreational facilities were complete.
In the fall of 1985, residents voted overwhelmingly to incorporate. The City of Meadowlakes became a reality largely through the efforts of its first Mayor, Dick Neill. We are a proud, comfortable, and friendly city. Voluntary compliance with the ordinances and restrictions, as well as pride in the appearance of our city are important to all. In May 1998, the city voted to change from a Type C to a Type A Municipal Government. From a Mayor and two Commissioners, the City Government went to a Mayor and five Councilmembers, all of whom serve without compensation. In 2007 the MUD was merged with the city as the Public Works Department.
The City is contained within 519 acres, of which the Golf Course, Club House and facilities cover 143 acres of the total. As of April 2007 there were approximately 960 homes with an estimated population of 1659 people. The 2010 census shows the current population to be 1777.